Devon and Varsha discuss corruption in congress, the press’ role in a free democracy and more immigration bullshit. They also cover a few horrific stories of abuse of children being held in ORR facilities after being forcibly separated from their parents.
Devon also sits down with Rewire.News reporter Tina Vasquez for a more in-depth look at the rampant abuse and deaths of those in ICE custody.
- Trump administration to freeze fuel-efficiency requirements in move likely to spur legal battle with states by Brady Dennis, Michael Laris, and Juliet Eilperin (WaPo)
- Trump Administration Mulls a Unilateral Tax Cut for the Rich by Alan Rappeport and Jim Tankersley (NYTimes)
- The NRA Says It’s in Deep Financial Trouble, May Be ‘Unable to Exist’ by Tim Dickinson (Rolling Stone)
- NRA Says It Faces A Financial Crisis In Lawsuit Against New York State Officials by Shannon Van Sant (NPR)
- Judge calls Trump administration family reunification efforts ‘unacceptable’ by Jacob Soboroff and Julia Ainsley (NBC News)
- Exclusive: Trump’s travel ban is supposed to make exceptions for worthy cases. A new lawsuit alleges it isn’t. by Dara Lind (Vox)
- White House Weighs Another Reduction in Refugees Admitted to U.S. by Julie Hirschfeld Davis (NYTimes)
- A Child Is Among the Latest Migrants to Die Under Trump by Tina Vasquez (Rewire.News)
- Follow Tina Vasquez @TheTinaVasquez
Dickwad of the Week
Chuck Grassley – Wants 900,000 documents from the National Archives by mid-August. They laughed and said end of October.
- National Archives says it won’t be able to produce all Kavanaugh documents until end of October by Seung Min Kim (WaPo)