Listen on: iTunes | Google Play | Spotify | Acast | Stitcher | Pocket Cast | Overcast | PodBean | Soundcloud | audioBoom
Devon and Sarah sit down long distance to discuss Trump’s fucking campaign rally (almost 3 years out from the next election), the transgender ban in the military, and more Russian emails. They also award the Hellion of the Week and talk about the love in the podcast community.
Please take a moment to take our survey.
Don’t forget! We have swag in our shop, and you can support us on Patreon. For $5/mo you get access to EXCLUSIVE updates, announcements, behind the scenes looks and special mini podcasts!
- UN racism committee issues ‘warning’ over US tensions – AFP via Yahoo News
- Key takeaways from Trump’s speech on Afghanistan by Meghan Keneally (ABC News)
- The internet is loving CNN anchor Don Lemon’s calm, razor-sharp response to Trump’s Phoenix rally by Alice Truong (Quartz)
- White House has paperwork ready for Joe Arpaio pardon by Kaitlan Collins (CNN)
- In Racial Profiling Lawsuit, Ariz. Judge Rules Sheriff Arpaio In Contempt Of Court by Merrit Kennedy (NPR)
- Arizona’s ‘concentration camp’: why was Tent City kept open for 24 years? by Valeria Fernandez (The Guardian)
- Birther Friends Forever: How Trump and Sheriff Joe Arpaio Became BFFs by Adam K. Raymond (Daily Intelligencer)
- Dear President Trump – Voto Latino
- Joe Arpaio didn’t deserve a pardon by The Editorial Board (USA Today)
- White House to issue guidance on transgender military ban, WSJ reports by Sophie Tatum (CNN)
- Exclusive: Top Trump aide’s email draws new scrutiny in Russia inquiry by Manu Raju and Marshall Cohen (CNN)
- Trump campaign emails show aide’s repeated efforts to set up Russia meetings by Tom Hamburger, Carol D.
Leonnig, and Rosalind S. Helderman (WaPo)
- Glenn Simpson, key figure behind million-dollar ‘dossier,’ to face questions by Brian Ross, Matthew Mosk,
and Rhonda Schwartz (ABC News)
- Trump ‘Pee Tape’ Dossier Researcher Tells Investigators He ‘Stands By’ Explosive Allegations About Russia Links by Jason Le Miere (Newsweek)
- McConnell, in Private, Doubts if Trump Can Save Presidency by Alexander Burns and Jonathan Martin (NYTimes)
- Trump clashed with multiple GOP senators over Russia
by Josh Dawsey and Elana Schor (Politico)
Gratitude Check Links
- Federal judge tosses new Texas voter ID law; state plans to appeal by Jim Malewitz (The Texas Tribune)
- Hoooooly Shit, This Story by Rachel Wilkerson Miller (BuzzFeed)
- I ghosted my ex, and she’s about to be my new boss by Alison Green (Ask A Manager)
- Harry Potter and the Sacred Text
- Maxine Waters Calls Out Alt-Right Haters: ‘If You Come For Me, I’m Coming For You’ by Christina Coleman (Essence)
8th time since 2011 I counted. We need to compare lists!
— Ari Berman (@AriBerman) August 23, 2017
Trump's rally tonight is a reminder: You're smarter, kinder & more empathetic than our president. You're qualified to run for local office.
— Run for Something (@runforsomething) August 23, 2017
Hellion of the Week
- Oregon mom speaks out after being mocked by Louise Linton, treasury secretary’s wife by Allyah Frumin (Today)
Hearing @hellbentpod action items about NC redistricting just makes my cold heart grow 3 times its size. (1)
— Emily Blevins (@emilykblevins) August 22, 2017
My spouse walked through the garage while I was listening to @hellbentpod and he said "those ladies swear a lot". I said "fuck yah they do".
— Tanya (@SpoolandThimble) August 22, 2017
POTUS gave his best speech as POTUS. He's given extremely few of these types of speeches. And he has a campaign rally tomorrow. Soooo…
— Maggie Haberman (@maggieNYT) August 22, 2017
It's called the Hatch Act https://t.co/cE5cUYSEX8
— Ronald Klain (@RonaldKlain) August 23, 2017
Dossier alleged a conspiracy between Trump & Russia…efforts going back years..some parts have been corroborated by FBI.
— Ari Melber (@AriMelber) August 22, 2017
NYT: On an Aug, 9 call, Trump accused McConnell of refusing to protect him from the Russia investigations. https://t.co/KqCmA6Ju0O
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) August 22, 2017