Listen on: iTunes | Google Play | Acast | Stitcher | Pocket Cast | Overcast | PodBean | Soundcloud | audioBoom
Devon and Sarah discuss disastrous North Korean policy and how Trump’s off-the-cuff threats may lead to actual war. They also discuss the FBI’s predawn raid of Paul Manafort’s home and the implications for the ongoing Trump/Russia scandal. They sit down with the brilliant Melissa McEwan to discuss Mike Motherfucking Pence and the unique destruction a Pence presidency could bring.
Please take a moment to take our survey.
- s FBI conducted predawn raid of former Trump campaign chairman Manafort’s home by Carol D. Leonnig,
Tom Hamburger, and Rosalind S. Helderman (WaPo)
- Trump called for acting FBI director’s firing hours after FBI agents raided Paul Manafort’s home by Aaron Rupar (ThinkProgress)
- Manafort’s Home Searched as Part of Mueller Inquiry by Michael S. Schmidt and Adam Goldman (NYTimes)
- North Korea now making missile-ready nuclear weapons, U.S. analysts say
by Joby Warrick, Ellen Nakashima, and Anna Fifield (NYTimes)
- c North Korea says it won’t give up nuclear weapons and that entire U.S. mainland is within firing range by Carol Morello and Anne Gearan (WaPo)
- Donald Trump vows to answer North Korea nuclear threats with ‘fire and fury’ by Julian Borger and Justin McCurry (The Guardian)
- North Korea Says It Might Fire Missiles Into Waters Near Guam by Choe Sang-Hun (NYTimes)
- Japan marks 72 years since Hiroshima atomic bomb
- South Korea to US: Welcome to our world by Chris Cillizza (CNN)
- Follow Melissa McEwan @Shakestweetz
Gratitude Check Links
- Thanks to Maggie Hassan, Little Girls in New Hampshire Think Only Women Can Be Governors by Maggie Hassan,
as told to Mattie Kahn (Elle)
- What Music Do Americans Love the Most? 50 Detailed Fan Maps by Josh Katz (NYTimes)
- Paxton’s lawsuit over ‘sanctuary cities’ ban dismissed by KVUE (ABC News)
- Texas’ SB4 Immigration Enforcement Law: 5 Things to Know by Suzanne Gamboa (NBC News)
- Democrats Hold Iowa State House District That Went Heavily For Donald Trump by Daniel Marans (HuffPost)
Dems have outpaced Clinton and Obama in about 75% of races. In 2013, they outpaced Obama in just 16% of all races!
— Daily Kos Elections (@DKElections) August 9, 2017
Maxine Waters Update & The Maxine Waters Award in Badassery
- Rep. Maxine Waters to be honored at BET’s Black Girls Rock by Mesfin Fekadu (AP News)
- Maxine Waters, the rock star, shines at black women’s event by Mesfin Fekadu (WaPo)
- Fox News host Eric Bolling is suing a reporter for $50 million over a story about sexual-harassment allegations by David Choi (Business Insider Politics)
- ‘Little Miss Flint’ Helps 1,000 Local Students Get New School Supplies by Philip Lewis (HuffPost)
— All In w/Chris Hayes (@allinwithchris) August 5, 2017
Rep. Maxine Waters to The View on White House leaks: "I am so glad they're telling us what's going on." pic.twitter.com/MU4OD4gxMY
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) August 4, 2017
— AM Joy w/Joy Reid (@amjoyshow) August 6, 2017
Trump can't use DOJ to subpoena news outlets that debunk his lies! DOJ & Intel should focus more on Trump's leaks to Russians & Jr's emails!
— Maxine Waters (@RepMaxineWaters) August 6, 2017
— Hellbent Podcast (@hellbentpod) August 7, 2017
I'm starting from the beginning with @hellbentpod, and I literally forgot some of the shit that happened in January/February.
— Chelsea in Seattle? (@angrysnowflake1) August 7, 2017
Quick pronunciation note: Catherine Cortez-Masto is mâst-o, not māsto.
She's my Senator and she's a bad-ass.
First Latina in Senate ever.
— Mama Jean B (@mamajeanab) August 9, 2017
1/ Predawn raid on Manafort's house is stunning- typical of serious criminal investigations dealing w uncooperative or untrusted targets
— Richard Blumenthal (@SenBlumenthal) August 9, 2017
Dawn FBI raids targeting suspects who likely took the 5th represent the first judicial finding of probable cause in the Putin/Trump inquiry
— Laurence Tribe (@tribelaw) August 10, 2017
— National Enquirer (@NatEnquirer) August 9, 2017
This is how I've described Hiroshima, based on a variety of sources, firsthand and secondary. pic.twitter.com/1FVXp1kUUV
— Dan Zak (@MrDanZak) August 8, 2017
1. Danger with Trump and nukes isn't just the crazy tough talk but the absolute lack of credibility that comes with it
— Ilan Goldenberg (@ilangoldenberg) August 9, 2017