Listen on: iTunes | Google Play | Acast | Stitcher | Pocket Cast | Overcast | PodBean | Soundcloud
Devon and Sarah discuss the newly reinstated travel ban, healthcare & how to explain to Republicans why you should care about other people, Obama’s reaction to Russian interference into the 2016 presidential election, and self-care.
They “award” the Donald Trump Dishonor in Dickwaddery. It’s a 3-way tie this week, because it’s that kind of Monday.
Please take a moment to take our survey.
- A women’s movement grows in ‘the most Trumpian place in America’
by Elizabeth Flock (PBS)
- w Supreme Court allows limited version of Trump’s travel ban to take effect and will consider case in fall by Robert Barnes and Matt Zapotosky (WaPo)
- Senate GOP expected to add new penalties for the uninsured into their health bill by Sarah Kilff and Dylan Scott (Vox)
- The obscure Senate rule that still could save Obamacare, explained (Byrd Rule Primer) by Dylan Scott (Vox)
- New poll shows majority of Americans are unaware Trumpcare slashes Medicaid by Kiley Kroh (ThinkProgress)
- GOP threat to Medicaid threatens liberty of millions of Americans – The Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC)
- Coverage Losses Under the Senate Health Care Bill Could Result in 18,100 to 27,700 Additional Deaths in 2026 by Ann Crawford-Roberts, Nichole Roxas, Ichiro Kawachi, Sam Berger, and Emily Gee (Center for American Progress)
- Senate Leaders Try to Appease Members as Support for Health Bill Slips by Robert Pear and Thomas Kaplan (The NYTimes)
- Poll: Trumpcare Is Incredibly Unpopular
by Kate Harloe (MotherJones)
- Obama’s secret struggle to punish Russia for Putin’s election assault by Greg Miller, Ellen Nakashima, and Adam Entous (WaPo)
- Obama and Congress Knew About Russian Hacking—And They Did Nothing by Aki Peritz (Daily Beast)
- Election Hackers Altered Voter Rolls, Stole Private Data, Officials Say by Massimo Calabresi (Time)
- Rep. Ted Lieu: Trump witness tampering on TV – All In With Chris Hayes (MSNBC)
- Trump White House Has Taken Little Action To Stop Next Election Hack by Ken Dilanian, Hallie Jackson,
Likhitha Butchireddygari, and Gabriela Martinez (NBC News)
Gratitude Check Links
- 76 women voyage to the edge of the world to fight gender inequality by Katy Scott (CNN)
- Citing LGBT discrimination, California bans state travel to Kentucky by Thomas Novelly and Associated Press (Courier-Journal)
- Making America scared again won’t make us safer by Sally Q. Yates (WaPo)
- Sally Yates Is Queen of the Constitutional Clapback by R. Eric Thomas (Elle)
- A New Rating for TV and Movies Tries to Combat Gender Stereotypes by Susan Chira (NYTimes)
- Trump’s Lies by David Leonhardt and Stuart A. Thompson (NYTimes) – Ed. note: This is in the “Opinion” section and I don’t know why…
- There’s a high bar to accusing someone of committing a “lie,” and we don’t do it lightly. by Mary Ann Georgantopoulos (BuzzFeed News)
- Blackout Cake – Recipe (NYTimes Cooking)
My first tweet as a private citizen. Read my op-ed responding to AG Sessions on the need for criminal justice reform https://t.co/143F3hagva
— Sally Yates (@SallyQYates) June 24, 2017
Great call! The passion is inspiring! We're ready to fight! https://t.co/9orSt1mUXw
— Sen Dianne Feinstein (@SenFeinstein) June 23, 2017
Listen up friends: human chain around the Capitol this Wed at 5 to save ACA. Please come into D.C. Nothing more imp than saving health care!
— Neera Tanden ? (@neeratanden) June 25, 2017
Donald Trump Dishonor in Dickwaddery Links
- Ron Johnson: People with preexisting condition don’t deserve insurance like ‘somebody who crashes their car’ by David Edwards (RawStory)
- North Carolina Is the Only State Where Women Can’t Withdraw Consent After Intercourse Has Begun by Lily Herman (Allure)
- Women on Birth Control Could be Barred From Working if Missouri Lawmakers Get Their Way by Mirren Gidda (NewsWeek)
- NJ Assembly Passes Bill Requiring Kids Be Taught to Interact With Police by Mary Emily O’Hara (NBC News)
— Rolling Stone (@RollingStone) June 22, 2017
"Under Alabama’s archaic rape law, victims must prove they “earnestly” resisted their attackers…" https://t.co/HxjEIknyvf
— Saeed Jones (@theferocity) June 23, 2017
Pass a bill to teach police to interact with us.
Since, you know, they’re professionals and public servants. https://t.co/HTLEXC1GSi
— Brittany Packnett (@MsPackyetti) June 23, 2017
@DevonHandy may take this administration down with a whiteboard a lot of curse words!!
— TKF??❄️?☮️??️? (@kavanesq) June 22, 2017
— Elizabeth Kristen (@LasEkristen) June 23, 2017
— Sam Sam (@CatladySnark) June 23, 2017
— Bernadette Stadler (@bstadler94) June 22, 2017
— clairmc (@clairmc) June 24, 2017
BREAKING: #SCOTUS to take up Trump's Muslim ban.
We'll see him in court. #NoMuslimBanEVER
— ACLU (@ACLU) June 26, 2017
Spicer: The president is very supportive of the health care bill. Committed to no one who uses Medicaid is affected in any way.
— Adrian Carrasquillo (@Carrasquillo) June 23, 2017
— Dan Diamond (@ddiamond) June 25, 2017
I'm reasonably sure Trump wouldn't have reached 270 if he openly campaigned on taking Medicaid from 14+ million people.
— b-boy bouiebaisse (@jbouie) June 23, 2017
My biggest problem in these ACA debates? I don't know how to explain to you why you should care about other people.
— Lauren Morrill (@LaurenEMorrill) January 13, 2017
Forget death panels. If Republicans pass this bill, they're the death party. https://t.co/jCStfOaBjy
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) June 23, 2017
Let us be clear and this is not trying to be overly dramatic: Thousands of people will die if the Republican health care bill becomes law.
— Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) June 23, 2017
No amount of "Obama should've warned us" makes up for the fact white people knew Trump was unfit to be president but voted for him anyway.
— Ragnarok Lobster (@eclecticbrotha) June 23, 2017
This is much more serious than previous information. This opens the door to the idea that Trump may have won with falsified votes. https://t.co/zpztrzIybD
— Howard Dean (@GovHowardDean) June 22, 2017
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) June 22, 2017
More indicators of obstruction of justice https://t.co/HsgPUByPWn
— Sarah Kendzior (@sarahkendzior) June 22, 2017
Trump admitted on Fox & Friends his claim that he taped James Comey was meant to influence his testimony. He can't make this any clearer.
— Jared Yates Sexton (@JYSexton) June 23, 2017
— Mark Follman (@markfollman) June 22, 2017