Listen on: iTunes | Google Play | Acast | Stitcher | Pocket Cast | Overcast | PodBean | Soundcloud
Devon and Sarah discuss how completely off-the-rails the news cycle has been lately. The dive into gun control, healthcare concerns, and the open investigation into Trump’s obstruction of justice. They talk to the brilliant Sarah Kendzior, who gives them some serious perspective on Trump, authoritarianism, and what the hell to do next.
They also award the Maxine Waters Award in Badassery.
Please take a moment to take our survey.
- Steve Scalise Among 4 Shot at Baseball Field; Suspect Is Dead by Michael D. Shear, Adam Goldman, and Emily Cochrane (NYTimes)
- 11 Statistics That Remind Us Gun Violence Is A Women’s Issue by Jenavieve Hatch (HuffPost)
- House hearing on gun legislation canceled after shooting by Jeremy Herb (CNN)
- UPS worker kills three colleagues in San Francisco, turns gun on himself by Emmett Berg (Reuters)
- America’s gun problem, explained by German Lopez (Vox)
- After 152 Mass Shootings In 2017, It Took An Attack On Congress To Get Our Attention by Nick Wing (HuffPost)
- Highlights from Attorney General Jeff Sessions’s Senate Testimony by Charlie Savage, Emmarie Huettman, and Rebecca R. Ruiz (NYTimes)
- y Special counsel is investigating Trump for possible obstruction of justice, officials say by Devlin Barrett, Adam Entous, Ellen Nakashima, and Sari Horwitz (WaPo)
- Mueller Seeks to Talk to Intelligence Officials, Hinting at Inquiry of Trump by Michael S.
Schmidt and Matt Apuzzo (NYTimes)
- Follow Sarah Kendzior @sarahkendzior
- Buy The View From Flyover Country: Essays by Sarah Kendzior
Gratitude Check Links
- t Top Michigan health official, four others charged with manslaughter in Flint water crisis by Brady Dennis (WaPo)
- In Victory for Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, Court Finds That Approval of Dakota Access Pipeline Violated the Law – Earth Justice
- The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s Litigation on the Dakota Access Pipeline
– FAQ on Earth Justice
- What we learned from the Virginia primary by Gabriel Debenedetti (Politico)
- Transgender journalist Danica Roem wins nomination for House of Delegates by Jill Palermo (Fauquier Times)
- ‘Broad City’ will bleep Donald Trump’s name in Season 4 by Patrick Ryan (USA Today)
Congratulations to @RalphNortham. Let's go win this thing—united. Let's take back the House and ensure VA remains a firewall against hate.
— Tom Perriello (@tomperriello) June 14, 2017
— Elizabeth Warren (@elizabethforma) June 14, 2017
— Sarah Lerner (@SarahLerner) June 14, 2017
Ok, just about 99% of precincts are in on the Democratic side. Their Election Day turnout is at nearly 170% of total from last primary (09).
— Gabriel Debenedetti (@gdebenedetti) June 14, 2017
- “Call Your Ossoff!” House Party – SwingLeft.org
- The Staffers Handling Health Care for Your Senators – Indivisible
- Stop Trumpcare in June: Action Plan – Indivisible
- “I Object!” – Withholding Consent and Filibustering – Indivisible
Got a Democratic Senator? Here’s how they can ACTUALLY PLAY HARDBALL on TrumpCare. Yes, they have tools to use. Yes, they can win. 1/
— Ezra ? Levin (@ezralevin) June 15, 2017
Maxine Waters Update & The Maxine Waters Award in Badassery
- Meet the High School Student Who Mapped Every Abortion Clinic in the US by Leila Ettachfini (Broadly)
- Safe Place Project
— Senate Democrats (@SenateDems) June 9, 2017
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) June 10, 2017
@hellbentpod RE: Ep35-hobbies. I'm a rabid Red Sox fan. They are my life in summer. I turn the tv on now, but I'm just not INTO it this year
— Carmela CL (@carmacarmeleon) June 13, 2017
— Courtie ? (@cdubbs420) June 13, 2017
So is there an appropriate time to mention a Congressman who once called himself 'David Duke without the baggage' was saved by 2 black cops
— zeddy (@Zeddary) June 15, 2017
— Shannon Watts (@shannonrwatts) June 14, 2017
No background checks
No permit req’d for concealed carry of long guns
Open carry long guns & handguns
— David Frum (@davidfrum) June 14, 2017
Fun fact: The president could theoretically shut Mueller down on this by just tweeting "I pardon myself for obstruction of justice."
— Matt Ford (@fordm) June 14, 2017