Listen on: iTunes | Google Play | Acast | Stitcher | Pocket Cast | Overcast | PodBean | Soundcloud
Devon and Sarah discuss the Democratic party’s betrayal of their female base, who the real heroes in this healthcare battle are, and Trump’s violent rhetoric at a police rally. They also give the Donald Trump Dishonor in Dickwaddery to a man who feeds into violence against transwomen.Please take a moment to take our survey.
- McCain Votes No, Dealing Potential Death Blow To Republican Health Care Efforts by Susan Davis and Domenico Montanaro (NPR)
- Obamacare Repeal Fails: Three GOP Senators Rebel in 49-51 Vote by Leigh Ann Caldwell (NBC News)
- Hassan narrowly beats Ayotte in Senate race by Chris Villani and Brian Dowling (Boston Harold)
- Behind the Scenes of Last Night’s Health Care Vote by Sen. Chris Murphy (Medium)
- These Two Women Senators Are The Real ‘Mavericks’ Of The GOP Health Care Vote by Emma Gray (HuffPost)
- How Women Helped Save Obamacare by Charlotte Alter (TIME)
- Women in Congress Are More Bipartisan, Collaborative But Still Less Powerful by Mariel Klein (HuffPost)
- The U.S. Made Zero Progress in Adding Women to Congress by Laura Cohn (Fortune)
- It’s Over: Senate Republicans Just Failed To Pass Their Last-Ditch Health Care Bill by Paul McLeod (BuzzFeed News)
- As Trump steams, Senate Republicans consider new repeal effort by Burgess Everett,
Josh Dawsey, and Rachel Bade (Politico)
- Obamacare 101: Trump threatens to let the Affordable Care Act fail. Can he? by David Lauter and Noam N. Levey (LA Times)
- President Trump won’t let Obamacare ‘implode,’ Health Secretary Tom Price says by Nicki Zink (ABC News)
- Conway: Trump to decide ‘this week’ whether to let Obamacare implode by Jacqueline Klimas (Politico)
- Sanders Says He’s ‘Absolutely’ Introducing Single-Payer Healthcare Bill After the GOP’s Failures to Repeal Obamacare by Aidan Quigley (Newsweek)
- Universal Coverage Is Not “Single Payer” Healthcare
by Dan Munro (Forbes)
- Debate Sharpens Over Single-Payer Health Care, But What Is It Exactly? by Julie Rovner (NPR)
- Hobby Lobby shows why single payer could hurt reproductive rights by Ezra Klein (Vox)
- n Trump tells police not to worry about injuring suspects during arrests by Mark Berman (WaPo)
- Donald Trump Tells Police, ‘Don’t Be Too Nice,’ Advocates Roughing Up Suspects by Prachi Gupta (The Slot/Jezebel)
- y Sessions orders Justice Department to review all police reform agreements by Sari Horwitz, Mark Berman, and Wesley Lowery (WaPo)
- Cops say they will keep pushing reforms even without Justice Dept. backing by Tom Jackman and Mark Berman (WaPo)
- NYPD Calls Trump’s Police Quip About Use of Force ‘Irresponsible’ by Andrew Rafferty and Chelsea Bailey (NBC News)
- Devon was wrong about JFK’s hat – THIS IS WHY WE DONATE TO SNOPES!
Gratitude Check Links
- Federal judge blocks Arkansas from enforcing extreme abortion laws by Tara Culp-Ressler (ThinkProgress)
- Rape Victims Must Notify Their Rapist Before Getting an Abortion in Arkansas by Gabby Bess (Broadly/Vice)
- Federal judge blocks Arkansas from enforcing 4 abortion restrictions – AP (via CBS News)
- Sally Yates: Protect the Justice Department From President Trump by Sally Q.
- Trump: Mueller and Sessions should investigate Clinton ties to Russia by Alicia Cohn (The Hill)
- Planned Parenthood to send superhero capes to senators who voted against healthcare bill by Robin Eberhardt (The Hill)
- Mayor Invites Trans People Banned From Military To Join Police Department by Curtis M. Wong (The Hill)
Thanks to all the heroes who helped #StopTrumpcare!
— Planned Parenthood Action (@PPact) July 29, 2017
Trump plans to sabotage the ACA this week. If everyone handles it right, it won't work.
More on this later today. Follow if interested.
— Andy Slavitt (@ASlavitt) July 30, 2017
Donald Trump Dishonor in Dickwaddery Links
- Laverne Cox Educates After ‘Breakfast Club’ Guest Jokes About Killing Trans Women by Doha Madani (HuffPost)
- Gay and Trans Panic Defense
– LGBT Bar
- “Gay Panic” Is No Longer a Legitimate Reason to Murder Someone in Illinois by Mark Joseph Stern (Slate)
Men who believe they are above being challenged or critiqued because they generally support women's rights are always terrible allies. https://t.co/CldkOyKmsZ
— Caitlin Rodham Bower (@galinja) July 30, 2017
And on a show where I'm sure they'd claim to disagree with much of what Trump says he's about here they are in lock step with his admin.
— M’BlockU (@rodimusprime) July 30, 2017
Loved this interview! Listened to it twice to be sure I didn't miss anything. She is fantastic (and the Star Trek geek-out was adorbs)
— Lisa Williamson (@Pnaplehead) July 29, 2017
— Stacey Abrams (@staceyabrams) July 27, 2017
In addition to the content, my fav thing abt the pod is the way Devon & Sarah's friendship plays- hearing them support & validate each other
— amy spacebrain (@cosmospacebrain) July 28, 2017
Giving McCain the credit for defeating this repeal when female Senators Murkowski & Collins were early NOs is EVERY WORK MEETING EVER.
— Jenny Yang 👲🏼👲🏼👲🏼 (@jennyyangtv) July 28, 2017
— Ezra 🌊 Levin (@ezralevin) July 30, 2017