Listen on: iTunes | Google Play | Acast | Stitcher | Pocket Cast | Overcast | PodBean | Soundcloud
Devon and Sarah discuss the Democratic party’s betrayal of their female base, who the real heroes in this healthcare battle are, and Trump’s violent rhetoric at a police rally. They also give the Donald Trump Dishonor in Dickwaddery to a man who feeds into violence against transwomen.Please take a moment to take our survey.
- McCain Votes No, Dealing Potential Death Blow To Republican Health Care Efforts by Susan Davis and Domenico Montanaro (NPR)
- Obamacare Repeal Fails: Three GOP Senators Rebel in 49-51 Vote by Leigh Ann Caldwell (NBC News)
- Hassan narrowly beats Ayotte in Senate race by Chris Villani and Brian Dowling (Boston Harold)
- Behind the Scenes of Last Night’s Health Care Vote by Sen. Chris Murphy (Medium)
- These Two Women Senators Are The Real ‘Mavericks’ Of The GOP Health Care Vote by Emma Gray (HuffPost)
- How Women Helped Save Obamacare by Charlotte Alter (TIME)
- Women in Congress Are More Bipartisan, Collaborative But Still Less Powerful by Mariel Klein (HuffPost)
- The U.S. Made Zero Progress in Adding Women to Congress by Laura Cohn (Fortune)
- It’s Over: Senate Republicans Just Failed To Pass Their Last-Ditch Health Care Bill by Paul McLeod (BuzzFeed News)
- As Trump steams, Senate Republicans consider new repeal effort by Burgess Everett,
Josh Dawsey, and Rachel Bade (Politico)
- Obamacare 101: Trump threatens to let the Affordable Care Act fail. Can he? by David Lauter and Noam N. Levey (LA Times)
- President Trump won’t let Obamacare ‘implode,’ Health Secretary Tom Price says by Nicki Zink (ABC News)
- Conway: Trump to decide ‘this week’ whether to let Obamacare implode by Jacqueline Klimas (Politico)
- Sanders Says He’s ‘Absolutely’ Introducing Single-Payer Healthcare Bill After the GOP’s Failures to Repeal Obamacare by Aidan Quigley (Newsweek)
- Universal Coverage Is Not “Single Payer” Healthcare
by Dan Munro (Forbes)
- Debate Sharpens Over Single-Payer Health Care, But What Is It Exactly? by Julie Rovner (NPR)
- Hobby Lobby shows why single payer could hurt reproductive rights by Ezra Klein (Vox)
- n Trump tells police not to worry about injuring suspects during arrests by Mark Berman (WaPo)
- Donald Trump Tells Police, ‘Don’t Be Too Nice,’ Advocates Roughing Up Suspects by Prachi Gupta (The Slot/Jezebel)
- y Sessions orders Justice Department to review all police reform agreements by Sari Horwitz, Mark Berman, and Wesley Lowery (WaPo)
- Cops say they will keep pushing reforms even without Justice Dept. backing by Tom Jackman and Mark Berman (WaPo)
- NYPD Calls Trump’s Police Quip About Use of Force ‘Irresponsible’ by Andrew Rafferty and Chelsea Bailey (NBC News)
- Devon was wrong about JFK’s hat – THIS IS WHY WE DONATE TO SNOPES!
Gratitude Check Links
- Federal judge blocks Arkansas from enforcing extreme abortion laws by Tara Culp-Ressler (ThinkProgress)
- Rape Victims Must Notify Their Rapist Before Getting an Abortion in Arkansas by Gabby Bess (Broadly/Vice)
- Federal judge blocks Arkansas from enforcing 4 abortion restrictions – AP (via CBS News)
- Sally Yates: Protect the Justice Department From President Trump by Sally Q.
- Trump: Mueller and Sessions should investigate Clinton ties to Russia by Alicia Cohn (The Hill)
- Planned Parenthood to send superhero capes to senators who voted against healthcare bill by Robin Eberhardt (The Hill)
- Mayor Invites Trans People Banned From Military To Join Police Department by Curtis M. Wong (The Hill)
Thanks to all the heroes who helped #StopTrumpcare!
— Planned Parenthood (@PPact) July 29, 2017
Trump plans to sabotage the ACA this week. If everyone handles it right, it won't work.
More on this later today. Follow if interested.
— Andy Slavitt (@ASlavitt) July 30, 2017
Donald Trump Dishonor in Dickwaddery Links
- Laverne Cox Educates After ‘Breakfast Club’ Guest Jokes About Killing Trans Women by Doha Madani (HuffPost)
- Gay and Trans Panic Defense
– LGBT Bar
- “Gay Panic” Is No Longer a Legitimate Reason to Murder Someone in Illinois by Mark Joseph Stern (Slate)
Advice to parents: Teach your daughter to say "No" firmly and mean it. Men sense women's willingness to yield. Make clear you mean business. https://t.co/bp48ziEjYw
— Will Saletan (@saletan) July 29, 2017
Men who believe they are above being challenged or critiqued because they generally support women's rights are always terrible allies. https://t.co/CldkOyKmsZ
— Caitlin Rodham Bower (@galinja) July 30, 2017
And on a show where I'm sure they'd claim to disagree with much of what Trump says he's about here they are in lock step with his admin.
— Rod (@rodimusprime) July 30, 2017
Stacey Abrams motivates me. We can run for office, write romance AND champion social causes. We can do ALL the things. @hellbentpod
— Felizity Smoak (@WhatIsLiz) July 28, 2017
Loved this interview! Listened to it twice to be sure I didn't miss anything. She is fantastic (and the Star Trek geek-out was adorbs)
— Lisa Williamson (@Pnaplehead) July 29, 2017
— Stacey Abrams (@staceyabrams) July 27, 2017
In addition to the content, my fav thing abt the pod is the way Devon & Sarah's friendship plays- hearing them support & validate each other
— amy spacebrain (@cosmospacebrain) July 28, 2017
Giving McCain the credit for defeating this repeal when female Senators Murkowski & Collins were early NOs is EVERY WORK MEETING EVER.
— Jenny Yang👲👲🏽🐉 (@jennyyangtv) July 28, 2017
— Ezra Levin (@ezralevin) July 30, 2017